Tuesday, August 18, 2009

update on new tricks

The way class was conducted this morning really matched my learning style. I could read and reread at my own pace and then when I was ready (when my confidence was up) I could go ahead at my own speed and try new things. Holly and Henry are great seat mates as I tend to talk myself through things when I am learning something new. They have been very patient and helpful! I will go home and play with this RSS thing.

I will have to be careful about filling the RSS feed with too many interesting things! I am thinking I will have to put in what is relevant and important to me as a teacher and personally. Figuring out what is important as opposed to what is interesting; hmmmmm, sounds like what I am always trying to teach my reading students.

So far so good. It is good for me to be a learner again; especially right before school starts.

5 comments:

  1. Well said Deb--what is important vs. what is interesting! I find this so overwhelming that it's ALL interesting! How to filter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a way to jump start our brains for the start of school . . . we need a way to get back into the swing of things, and what better way than to be learners ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure to help. After all, we are all in the same boat so I have to keep you paddling in the right direction for the greater good.
    A lot of good stuff to think about just before we start up a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working together...what a great idea. How can we teach kids to become skilled at that, Deb? Look how important it is!
    spk
    ><>

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been fun watching you, Holly, and Henry collaborate. You make a great team of learners. Steve and I also are modeling some teaching methods in a 1-to-1 environment: group work combined with individual exploration; hands on; time to dig deeply and play with new learning, etc. I am glad it is working for you.

    ReplyDelete